Business License Information
Opening a Business in Larkspur The City of Larkspur welcomes your interest in establishing a business in our community. Please be advised that under Chapter 5.24.010 of the Larkspur Municipal Code, you are required to maintain a valid Business License with the City of Larkspur. Note that various areas of Greenbrae, including business and residential addresses, are under the City of Larkspur’s jurisdiction.
To obtain a Business License, complete the appropriate Business License Application for your type of business and submit with a check payable to the City of Larkspur for the license tax. If you are operating the business out of your home, also complete a Home Occupation Questionnaire and include the Home Occupation Review Fee.
| If you are seeking to renew your license or apply for a new license:
The City of Larkspur has partnered with MuniServices to provide business license services. You have several options for renewing or filing your license.
You may file online: https://secure.bizlicenseonline.com/default_rds.aspx
You may file by mail or in person with the forms below. The file by mail address is on the form. To file in person, you are encouraged to bring your completed form and payment to City Hall.
For most businesses, filing directly with MuniServices, either online or by mail, will be the easiest and most efficient way to receive your license.
The links below will take you to forms MuniSerivces has created for the various business licenses issued by the City of Larkspur. The forms are on a website operated by Revenue Discovery Systems. MuniServices and RDS are part of the same family of companies that support local governments around the country with various administration services.
We have started a Frequently Asked Questions sheet. All other questions can be directed to (866) 240-3665.
Business License Forms and Applications(new applicants and renewals use the same form)
- Home Occupation Questionnaire must be completed for all home based businesses in addition to a Business License Application.
- Misc. Retail – Class 101 includes most retail, restaurants and other businesses, callings, trades and occupations operating on a gross profit of more than 30 percent.
- Misc. Services – Class 102 includes most miscellaneous services, locally based contractors and other businesses, callings, trades and occupations operating on a gross profit of 17 to 30 percent.
- Delivery or Service by Vehicle – Class 103 includes tree services and anyone who delivers products, food, or merchandise of any kind by vehicle or who provides any service by the use of vehicles.
- Rental Units – Class 104 includes apartments, boarding and rooming houses, in-law units, hotels, motels, inns, bed-and-breakfasts, and other rental units.
- Real Estate – Class 105 includes sales agents and brokers.
- Professional Services – Class 106 includes law, medicine, finance, engineering, architecture, teaching (arts and sciences), and other service professionals.
- Alarm Companies and Security Services – Class 113
- Massage Therapy
- Filming and Photography
ContractorsAll contractors and subcontractors working in Larkspur and the incorporated parts of Greenbrae must have a current Business License with the City of Larkspur.
- Non-resident contractors use the Contractor's Business License Registration form.
- Non-resident tree services use Delivery or Service by Vehicle - Class 103.
- All locally based contractors are required to submit Misc. Services - Class 102, whether or not they are currently working in Larkspur. A Home Occupation Questionnaire must also be submitted if the business is operated out of a home.
The City of Larkspur reserves the right to determine the appropriate business license classification based on Larkspur Municipal Code. For assistance with all business license questions, including selecting and completing an application, please (866) 240-3665.
Stormwater Pollution Prevention
Businesses can contribute to storm drain pollution mainly through improper use of cleanup practices that allow wastes such as food particles, oil and grease, paint, pesticides and/or cleaning products to flow into the street, storm gutter, or storm drain.
For important information on how to prevent such pollution, please see Stormwater Info.